Tuesday 14 July 2009

Effect of EVS

I consider it a wise decision to have brought my kids here to India to spend their summer vacation. Sitting in the scorching heat of Abu Dhabi confined within the walls of the house would have been such a big bore for them and for me. I maybe wrong, but I feel that running around bare feet during all seasons unmindful of the pricks of hard stones; jumping and dancing in rain; walking down the streets at any time of the day are all enjoyment of the first grade. This may not be pleasurable to all kids but as of now my kids have great delight in doing all the above here in India.

It was a promise that they had taken from me before coming to India that I should take them to the neighbouring park everyday. Though I took them to the park, they seem to be unhappy over that since they are irritated by the mosquitoes that are greedy for fresh blood.

So park was a big flop and they are reluctant to go there. The next option was the pool. My kids hardly know swimming. But they wanted to soak themselves in the kids’ pool nearby. So I took them both to the pool just to make them happy. The girls were too shy to step into the pool semi clad. There was not a single soul in the vicinity. It was because I chose the afternoon time around 3 -3.30. I believed the water would be warm around that time. But because of monsoon, the water was cold. Swathi stepped into the pool first. Shruthi was a bit hesitant to step in. She was struck with a heavy doubt. The subject “Environmental Studies” has hit her brain so hard I guess that she emerged with a peculiar question that made me laugh.

Shruthi: Mommy, we forgot something!
Me: What?
Shruthi: Where is the cylinder?
Me: Which cylinder?
Shruthi: Don’t you remember what we learnt in EVS?
Me: What?
Shruthi: We learnt that divers carry oxygen cylinder on their back just to breathe. How will I breathe now?
Me (Laughing heartily within me): You don’t need it because you are not diving in.

Convinced with this answer she stepped in. I then explained to her the difference between swimming and diving and how different is just getting soaked in the water from swimming. They were somehow convinced that they were swimming I guess. Kids sometimes arise with strange questions that make us laugh. But of late, I have also noted that if I laugh, they get offended. But how can I remain without laughing when such a question is posed?

2 comments:

  1. That is so sweet.

    I'm glad they are having so much fun. It is so different to see your point of view vs mine. In the US though, there are just too many activities..I want to go to India to just relax. Your girls are shy to wear a swimsuit - mine walks around with that all the time! hahah..she has been taking swimming classes here as knowing swimming is kind of a neccessaity in California. We have so many beaches around and she has to learn to be water safe.

    Keep the posts coming. I enjoy reading these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Kids are really amazing. They keep entertaining us all the time. I too could not control my laughter but with no offence intended. :D

    Ahhhh.... that reminds me of my stint with water last August. :))

    ReplyDelete