Tuesday 1 December 2009

Who is Greedy?


Almost every night, I read out some moral stories to my girls. Whether they follow it or not, I want to read out some morals to them and also how can they implement that moral in their practical life. Very recently, we covered the topic called ‘greed’. They were so excited about that particular topic mainly because they read the meaning of that word in their classroom. Immediately my girls said in chorus, “Ma! I know the meaning of greed. It is ‘excessive desire’.”

I appreciated them. I then quoted examples of greed. I told them that buying more and more toys when we already have lots is also an example of greed. When I read that story out, they also understood that one has to learn to be happy with what they have instead of brooding over things that they do not have.

The next day itself my girls were brooding over something that we did not get them and immediately I reminded her of the moral of the story that we read the previous night and told her, “this is called greed”. She understood and apologized up front. I was glad about the impact of the morals that I read out every day.

On the other hand, I have often noticed that every time I have a voice chat with my parents, my girls will come running to me with their complaints and problems not allowing me to talk with them at peace. I do not know why they demand my immediate attention every time I am on phone or when I am having a voice chat. It so happened today when I was having a voice chat with my parents, my girls interfered with all the problems they have with each other. Most of my time was spent in settling their disputes.

After completing the chat with my parents, I went to them. For some time, I sat next to them. They did not even bother to notice me. They were on their own drawing and writing something. I wondered why they do not have any allegations against each other when I am fully available. I have told them several times not to disturb me when I am on phone or chat but still they do. I felt it the right time to put an end to it and told them, “Girls! I really want to talk something to you both.”

Shruthi and Swathi: What’s that?
Me: Why is it that you always come to me with your problems when I am chatting?
Shruthi: Sorry Mommy. But Swathi is always irritating me.
Swathi was silent.
Me: Swathi, why do you choose a particular time to irritate her? Why don’t you irritate her now in my presence?
Swathi was still silent.
Me: Did you know that I was talking to my parents?
Both: Yes
Me: Look! You both have your parents with you all the time and you can talk with us whenever you want. But see, my parents are not with me.

The two behaved as though they understood what I was talking about. I thought I will gain their sympathy. But something different happened.

Swathi broke her silence. She said, “This is called greed.”

For a moment I sat puzzled. She continued, “You were reading out moral stories to us and teaching us how to be happy with what we have and now you are brooding over something that you don’t have.”

I burst into a heavy laughter. I also admired her innocence. On the other hand, I should also observe that my girls have the knack of blaming others even if they are wrong. :-)

5 comments:

  1. I narrated the above sequence to A & B and they too burst into laughter. Innocence is one such that illumines our hearts at all times. My love to Swathi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great presence of mind and timely reply by swathi.

    Innocence of a Child is the reflection of the divine.

    nicely narrated the whole conversation, good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Padmaja and Kasi for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please become a Fan of Team 1 Talent Share :

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team1Talentshare/128460166288?ref=sgm

    And participate regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is soooooo funny. Unakku theva dhaan. LOL! Kisses to the girls!

    ReplyDelete