Saturday 2 May 2009

My kids are growing

As any other kids, my kids too were prone to infections very often when they were toddlers. So I always used to make it a point to home feed them. I had banned giving them outside food and I would give them hygienically prepared food at home. There were many of my friends too who used to prepare food with the same hygiene as I, so that I need not carry food when I visit their houses. But if I were to visit any other place, I either feed my kids before starting or carry food along with me so that I can give them at a later time.

But this practice continued for a very long time. My kids too started enjoying having the mashed food prepared exclusively for them so that they can easily swallow without giving work to their teeth. I later began getting worried about this since even if we wanted to have dinner at a restaurant, I have to prepare the same food for them, feed them, give them and then start to the restaurant. The fun of having food at a restaurant vanishes since I anyway have to work in the kitchen. My kids used to hate outside food. They never even had the appetite to taste restaurant food. That put me in greatntrouble. My friends too said that it was not an acceptable idea since my daughters had outgrown that age. They said that they better learn to eat outside else survival becomes very tough.

Fortunately for me, my daughters started eating idlis and dosas at a restaurant. So if I were to visit South Indian restaurants, I would be benefitted. After reaching Abu Dhabi, I decided that I would somehow make them eat outside. So I prepared all those dishes prepared in a restaurant at home and made them eat it little by little. They began to like them after some trials. Now, they have developed great fascination towards outside food. They are now eating Indian food in restaurants. I was greatly relieved last month, when they fully began to eat a wholesome meal at a restaurant.

Last night, we had been to a restaurant and my husband ordered a Chinese rice item and one of my daughters developed deep curiosity as to what he is eating and asked for the name of it and repeated it out to herself so that she can order it the next time we come there. She seemingly liked that rice and had a few spoons. She also checked what I was eating and asked if she can taste that too. What a development! I no longer have to carry boxes for them!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Latha - mine is the opposite.

    Anika started preschool since she was 18 months - so she is well versed with all kinds of american food - pasta, pizza, burgers etc. Atleast she is still vegetarian!!

    She had her favorite restaurants here where she orders specific things. She also loves home food - so that way I'm good. After our trip to India, she tells me that cereal is boring in the morning and she would like to have dosa and coconut chutney and sambar!!

    Glad to know your kids are getting used to all kinds of food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the passage of time, taste changes. I'm glad that you've ridden of the boxes at last.

    ReplyDelete