Monday 30 November 2009

Doubting God's Bountiful Resources


In order to inculcate some fear while doing something wrong, I just warned my kids that God is watching each one of us and has a record of what we all are doing. Immediately Swathi asked me with great wonderment, “All of us?”
Me: Yes
Shruthi: This world is too big and there are lots of people living. How can God watch each one of us?
Me: Didn’t you learn in Moral Science that He is all powerful, omnipresent and the like?
Shruthi: Yes
Me: So He is capable of watching each one of us
Swathi: Including you?
Me: Yes, including me

This moment I noticed some sense of relief in them. They probably got some assurance that they are not alone. To make it more understandable I tried explaining the same with illustrations that seem convenient for them. So I spoke, “God is having a chart for each one of us where He grades all our activities. If He notices you doing something good, He will stick a golden or a silver star on the ‘Good deeds’ column. If you do something bad, like not sharing things with each other or telling lies, then He will mark a big black dot on the ‘Bad deeds’ column. He will review it then and there to decide what you deserve. So we have to be careful with every step that we take since we are always being watched.”

Swathi (still not convinced that God could watch everybody): Will God watch adults also for sure?
Me: Yes, I said that He watches each one of us
Shruthi (from her part): Even strangers on the road?
Me: Yes. Nobody is excluded. ALL are being watched.

Finally, the biggest doubt emerged from Swathi’s mind. She asked me, “Does God have enough chart paper to record everybody’s good and bad deeds?”

1 comment:

  1. Oh Man...your kids are smart. Its wonderful to see their little brains work overtime to ask you so many questions. And I'm impressed by how you take your time to answer them.

    ReplyDelete