Wednesday 11 November 2009

Misconception

Soon after the exam fervour settled, sporty mood emerged into the minds of my girls. It was time for sports day at school. The gymnast and acrobat of our house (Swathi) was all excited about the event. She proudly announced the date when the sports event would be held at school.

I asked her, “So, what are the games you are interested in?”
Swathi: Running race
Me: Wow! That’s great. I am sure you would do well in that.

After a pause

Me: What are the other games that are conducted for the event?
Swathi: I remember. There was one more event but that is difficult
Me: What can be termed ‘difficult’ before attempting?
Swathi: I know that it is difficult
Me: What is it?
Swathi: I have seen Daddy doing it too Ma
Me (puzzled): Daddy doing it? What is it Swathi?
Swathi: I forgot the name
Me: Have your friends given their name for participation in that event?
Swathi: Yeah, a few
Me: Did they say that it is difficult?
Swathi: They don’t know it is difficult but I know it is
Me (with increased curiosity): Swathi, tell me the nature of the game. Do they carry a heavy ball and try to throw it? Or?
Swathi: No Ma. Haven’t you seen Daddy working with it during weekends?
Me: I don’t know what you are talking about
Swathi: Daddy carries a machine in his hand and makes noise out of it

I wondered for some time if it could be a vacuum cleaner but then it has been ages since my husband touched it. When did she notice something that I have not witnessed?

Me: Swathi, can I check with your teacher?
Swathi: No. I do not want to participate in it

I understood that she has some fear towards that event. But at the same time, I was curious to know what it was. I thought I will check with her teacher a bit later when she disappears from the scene.

Swathi: Ah! I remember the name now. It is drilling
Me: Drilling?
Swathi: Yes. Daddy does it on walls, doesn’t he?
Me: Yes, do they ask you to do drilling at school?
Swathi: Yes. They asked us “who all are interested in drill please raise your hands up”.

I burst into a heavy laughter and there sat my little girl sobbing because she felt insulted on this gesture of mine. I made her understand that drill in sports terminology means exercising our body in a rhythmic fashion in accordance to some music behind. She then smiled at me and told that if that be the case, she would be interested but then time had elapsed and she could not participate in that event.

1 comment:

  1. Haha haha..... lovely, Latha. I too had a hearty laugh. So sweet of her! :) :D

    ReplyDelete