Wednesday 11 November 2009

No longer a Fancy


The date for ‘Fancy Dress’ competition was announced at school. But this time Shruthi showed the least interest in participating. Last year, I dressed Shruthi as a Fairy Godmother and Swathi as Japanese. Shruthi had a big dialogue to tell too but unfortunately, Shruthi did not get a prize but Swathi won. Shruthi was indeed disappointed because despite doing her job perfectly well, she did not get due recognition. I had a tough time convincing her then. This time, when she showed some disinterest, I thought that she must have recollected last year's episode. I thought of convincing her to participate. So I asked her, “Shruthi, why don’t you choose what you want to be dressed as this time?”

Shruthi: I said that I do not want to participate
Me: But why?
Shruthi: It is no fun
Me: Look how excited Swathi is. She thinks that it is fun
Shruthi: That’s her view. I am not seriously considering

I was shocked at her reply

Me: Baby, I can dress you up as Tinker Bell (Tinker Bell is her favourite Disney character)
Shruthi: But I don’t want to participate
Me: Can you give me a genuine reason for not participating?

She was silent. I continued, “I don’t know if you remember but it happened once when we were in Bahrain when you were in your KG. You had given your name for ‘Fancy Dress’ competition and Swathi did not. As she saw me dressing you up that morning, she was also tempted and began crying telling that she wanted to participate too. I quickly gave her a role to play to stop her from crying. I don’t think I can do that again. I am sure you too will be tempted when I dress her up”.

Shruthi: I won’t be tempted.
Me: Are you sure?
Shruthi: Yes
Me: How do you say so?
Shruthi: I have been participating in this competition for a long time. I get dressed up, deliver some dialogue and judges do not award me any good marks. Firstly, I am not motivated to participate because of my past experience and secondly, there is no more fun in standing in a different costume in the school when most of the others would be dressed in their uniforms.

I was stunned to hear my seven year old girl speak like this. She no longer wants to be in the participating gang I guess. She is comfortable sitting behind with her friends to watch, comment and enjoy maybe. God! My girls are putting me in a shock every now and then by their gestures.

Finally, Shruthi was not tempted a bit. She kept up her words and watched patiently as I dressed Swathi as Anarkali. Shruthi held her sister’s hand with pride and hopped into the school bus that morning.


3 comments:

  1. You are blessed to undergo memorable moments. What more can I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually good Latha - they have their own minds and ideas and thoughts - Wow, they are indeed growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice...you can post like these blogs through our site which is related to mothers and babies including parenting,pregnancy,beauty,health,education...We would like to contact you but we cant get your mail id.I would like to promote my blog through your blog please contact me through my mail id ,for further details check www.chennaimomsinfo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete