Saturday 14 March 2009

Fancy dress competition?

“Who is the youngest of all Gods?”
“Why all Gods are looking beautiful?”
“Did the person, who drew the picture of God, actually see Him? If no, how does he know that God will look like this?”
“How can God who is just seen in a picture bless or punish us?”

These were the questions that my daughters raised about God some time back. Though I managed to give them an answer for these questions, they still were still not convinced about my answers.

But today, as I was explaining to them the story of Mahabharata, they seemed to be very much interested about Lord Krishna. At one place Krishna was referred to as omnipotent and in the other place as just a character. One of my daughters did not know the difference between Krishna and the Omnipotent. They asked me what the meaning of Omnipotent is. I said that it means God.

She then started thinking in a different angle I guess. She asked me – “Where is God?” This question is a difficult one to be explained to my 6 ½ year old daughter. But I have the responsibility of clarifying all her doubts to the best of my knowledge.
Me: God is everywhere.
Shruthi: But God is seen everywhere only in pictures!
Me: He is seen by us through those pictures but He is actually present in every atom around us.
Shruthi: How could Arjuna manage to see God?
Me: Arjuna was blessed.
Shruthi: Why God didn’t bless me?
Me: He didn’t bless me either.
Shruthi: If I want to see Him now, what should I do?
Me: You just pray with sincere heart. You might be blessed one day with his grace.
Shruthi: How Krishna will come to know about my prayers and how will He bless me?
Me: He will know. He is God.
Shruthi: What should I do if I want to see all the other Gods too?
Me: All Gods are one.
Shruthi: How come there are different Gods and different pictures of God?
Me: It is because God is one, but just that he assumes different forms.
Shruthi: Why do they come in different forms? Any fancy dress competition going on for them?
Me: :)

2 comments:

  1. That is a tough one to explain. Mine is 4 and believes in all stories I tell her - I guess 61/2 is the age when they begin to question your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, their questions are thought provoking too. Please do jot down the moment she starts questioning. They are sure to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete